Clare Rose Foundation Response to COVID-19
Clare Rose Foundation is taking steps to act responsively to the needs of our San Diego Creative Youth Development Network partners and communities.
Like everyone else, we are unclear what the long-term impact and needs will be for our partners, so we are trying to be prudent with our resources. We’re focused on funding and supporting what we know now, and remaining flexible. We will continually revisit our CYD budget to address the current and ongoing needs of our grantees and partners.
Clare Rose Foundation is committed to documenting and sharing our practices with the field. Please read our COVID Response Report to learn more about our approaches to grantmaking and programming during the early weeks of the pandemic.
Updated September 22, 2020 @ 4pm PST
Front Lines Fund
Emergency relief for teaching artists
Although we would like to help all teaching artist and staff in the arts education community, because of our limited resources as a small family foundation, we have to focus our giving around the following criteria:
- Grants between $500 and $1,000
- Only for immediate emergency needs, not forecasted losses
- Priority will be given to CYD teaching artists for organizations within the San Diego Creative Youth Development Network
- Priority will be given to current Clare Rose Foundation grantees
- Priority will be to those in greatest need
- Priority will be given to those artists who are historically and systemically economically disadvantaged
These will be direct, one-time grants to teaching artists under the IRS’s disaster or emergency hardship rule. These grants are not taxable.
Applications for Emergency relief for teaching artists are no longer being accepted.
Please check back regularly as information updates often.
Financial modeling, scenario planning, and emergency plans
During these times with so many unknowns, it is critical for organizations to have the right tools and plans in place to make critical decisions. We realize not all organizations have this internal expertise and capacity to create and implement these tools. We are working with community partners to provide this service to our grantees.
If you are in need of these services, please apply here.
Supporting CYD Organizations, Teaching Artists, and Young People in going digital/virtual
- Clare Rose Foundation will provide support for purchasing equipment, subscriptions, and setting up platforms for organizations to go fully virtual to connect with each other and the young people in their programs. Apply here.
- Clare Rose Foundation will hire young people from SDCYD Network organizations who are experts in these platforms to serve as digital consultants to help our community set up and train on various platforms that can engage young people in the community. If you are in need of a digital consultant, apply here.
If you know a young person who is a wiz on digital platforms, please let us know! Contact Katie Lorge for more information.
Additionally, multiple Internet service providers are offering free access to low-income households and households with students. Please visit Cox Communications, Spectrum, and Comcast for more information.
Families in need of a computer are encouraged to contact Computers2Kids San Diego, which offers full desktop systems and laptops, loaded with Microsoft Office software, for $80 and $100. Families can go to www.c2sdk.org or call (858) 200-9788 for more information.
Clare Rose Foundation will work with CYD Organizations to assist families in accessing these technologies.
SDCYD Network will continue to hold virtual community spaces
We understand that COVID-19 has increased anxiety and fears on many levels, and has isolated all of us from the important in-person human connection that our work relies on. It is important for all of us to remain calm, centered, and connected as a community.
Our current San Diego Creative Youth Development Network meeting schedule includes regular Zoom calls focused on Community Brave Spaces, EDI Cohort work, Youth Voice Cohort work, and CYD Practitioners Cohort work.
We will continue to send out regular emails and updates to let you know when these online gatherings will be taking place. Please email Katie Lorge if you’d like to be added to the SDCYDN email list.
- Weekly Zoom gatherings with Matt D’Arrigo (Fridays, 10-11am)
- Weekly Wellness Video Calls – Mindful Mondays with Macedonio Arteaga and Wellness Wednesdays with Sara Schairer (Detailed Schedule TBD)
- Online Learning opportunities and webinars to continue offering Professional Development and Leadership Development to our partners (Schedule TBD)
We will send out regular emails and updates to let you know when these online gatherings will be taking place.
Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.